Monday, April 9, 2007

The Choir's Home Again

This past week or so the choir entered the tabernacle for the first time in two years. We were rehearsing some things for conference and the dedicatory concerts. I felt a somber spirit of gratitude and awe at the beautiful additions and renovations done just for the choir. As we started Come Come Ye Saints I could not contain the emotion and lowered my head into my music folder and sobbed! My friend behind me was sobbing too! It was like everyone who has ever sung in those seats was sending a sigh of relief and joy that the choir was back where it belonged! It is definitely the HOME of the tabernacle choir and will be always. I felt humbled at the opportunity to hold this stewardship for a short time. Yesterday we had a picture taken with everyone who has anything to do with the broadcast production. There were probably 500+ people including Pres. Hinckley, front and center, who has been the adviser to the choir for 45 years. Our next big concert is the end of this month. The temple square chorale is performing the Mozart Requiem and the choir, Mack Wilberg's Requiem. In May, Bryn Terfel is coming to play the part of Elijah in that great work by Mendelssohn.

No comments: