Sunday, April 15, 2007

I'm a Tennis Bum

I went to the 4.0 tennis workout last Friday at Gold's Gym in Orem. It really makes me huff and puff ! There's a family of two brothers and a sister that do it for us. Sperry is their name. It is fast paced and fun. They have so many different drills that keep you moving for an hour and a half. I wish We had them two or three times a week. I finished our league season with a pretty good record-4 wins and 2 losses. I even won two singles matches. Tennis is so good for your mind and concentration. One time my doubles partner and I drove up to our match in SLC. For some reason we got on a really heavy subject...raising problem kids. We kept up the conversation all the way onto the court. We started our match but our minds were too far gone and we did not play well. We could have easily won the match but we blew it mentally by getting so involved with that conversation !
That's how it is in tennis. I've found that to do my best I need to psyche myself up a little the day of the match and focus well. I've been playing league for 15 years. Its pretty competitive which I like although a little time consuming. We play mostly in SLC and even Park City. Summer is the most competitive season. Its too bad it gets so hot!! I play better indoors. The Gold's 4. 0 AND 3.0 teams went to Hawaii last year for the National play off and the 3.0 team won theirs. We have a good group of players here. Its never too late to learn how to play and to improve your game!

2 comments:

Matt said...

I remembered that you were always a good tennis player. Way to go on the tournaments! As a child, I once saw that you owned a belt clip to hold an extra ball and I thought "Sheesh . . . she's professional!"

Jackson and I have started to play lately as our town home community has a few courts. We're awful, but it's a lot of fun. Jackson (who is 6) can get it over the net most of the time.

Amber said...

Tennis is something that I really wish I was better at. My mom teaches the kids in the summer once a week. Maybe sometime we could have a tournament again on whatever holiday that was that you organized it! We'll just have the 1st place trophy engraved for you before we start!