Thursday, May 29, 2008

Recording Day 2

This recording has been pretty demanding vocally.  I especially feel worn out when  the pieces are loud and high for my range.  Wednesday night the men had an earlier call time so the women got to come later around 7:45.  The men were recording "We'll Shout and give him glory" BUT some volunteer altos were asked to help out with the VERY high tenor sections.  So.. I volunteered.  Mack  emphasized that he knew the tenors sang those notes very well but just for recording purposes (which require singing those high notes over and over and over) he wanted about 30 altos.  It of course is not as straining for us.  I think we sang many "b's" above middle "c"   That's one of the best notes for my voice.   It is a rousing piece and we finished it around 8pm.  The ladies then came in and we proceeded with "Death Shall not destroy my Comfort", another M.W. arrangement thats been around for a while.  It starts with womens voices in a minor mode, and strains of  "oh halleluja, how I love my savior.."   Mack has such an amazing ear for pitch.  We've all noticed that his ears are tilted forward.   He is constantly asking  us to raise the pitch when it must be but a mere  fraction off that I'm sure is not even noticeable to most people!  The last piece for the evening was "Rock-a-my soul in the bosom of Abraham"  Mack told us how he saw this done on TV or something and that he loved it so much he hunted down the composer and got the music for it. its accapella and features short solos by Alex Boye.  Its a spiritual that builds and builds with excitement.  I like it a lot.  We finished a little late at around 10:20.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Ooh, the new pieces sound really exciting! That Abraham one sounds familiar, I think I've sung it before, though maybe not the same arrangement. Looking forward to hearing the recording!